The other day I shut off all electronics and just started baking. I didn’t know what I was going to create so I just let my hands and foodie mind take over! Baking is so therapeutic, I always forget how much I love it until I get back into it. And this is how these beautiful bars were created…
I have struggled with finding the perfect granola bar for years. I don’t like buying pre-packaged bars unless I really have to, and I’m not usually 100% happy with the fact that I didn’t make it myself. Homemade is just always better – ya feel? I posted another Granola Bar recipe this month, Toasted Coconut Hemp Bars, which I am just over the moon happy about. These are definitely a different taste, but still nutritious and packed with healthy fats and are great fuel for hiking or long days at school. The bars are nut-free, unless you substitute peanut butter for the seed butters.
Anyways, these bars are a huge hit! I’m so happy with them. They are packed with goodness like creamy sunflower seed and sesame seed butter, shredded coconut and vegan chocolate chips. They hold together well but are crumbly when you bite (just like those Nature Valley bars we used to eat as kids). You can totally exchange the seed butters for a peanut butter too, which I have yet to try! They are fridge and freezer friendly and hold a long time. Let’s get baking!
- 4 cups of quick cooking oats
- 3 cups of shredded coconut
- 2 cups of nut butter of your choice - I used 1.5 cups of sunflower seed butter plus 1/2 cup of tahini
- 1/2 cup of 100% natural maple syrup
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup non-dairy chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup hemp seeds
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp cardamom
- Pinch of good quality salt
- Mix all of the ingredients in a bowl until well combined. The mixture should not be dry, but rather sticky and slightly moist.
- Line a baking tray with wax paper and flatten the mixture with your hands or a spoon, until compact.
- Bake at 350 for about 25 minutes, until golden brown (depending on your oven). Remove from oven and slice with a sharp knife. Let cool for at least 20 minutes.
- Seal in plastic bags for storage or enjoy fresh out of the oven -yum!